Thursday, July 4, 2013

Track

Our June was largely dominated by track.  Knoxville Youth Athletics runs a developmental track league every summer.  When I heard about it last year some time, I was excited.  I wish I had come to enjoy running earlier in my life - or that someone had introduced it to me in a non-threatening way.  This summer, we signed CC right up.  
We want her to try lots of activities and see what she likes.  

We had practices twice a week every week in June.  There were also track meets every Saturday from 8:30 to noon.  Pretty time intensive for a five year old - we kept telling ourselves "it's only June."

Track meets were loooong and often hot.  We brought a sportbrella for shade and a blanket so Henry wasn't in the stroller the whole time.  There was a lot of this:

When all else fails to entertain - take selfies.



 
And a little of this:



Lining up for the 50m dash


The program was good about gratification - CC got a ribbon for every event she participated in.  

The most exciting event for us was the 4x100.  The first week, CC was on a team with her cousin, Amari, their friend, Audrey, and another little girl - they got 2nd place.  Weeks two and three, they got 3rd then 4th place.  Finally, in the last track meet, their team won!  Look in awe at the blue ribbon bling:

 

CC, her cousin Amari, their friend, Audrey, and another little girl who's name I can't remember (oops)




Overall, I'd call it a positive experience.  The only real negative for me was the time commitment.  CC seemed to have a great time and loved "track days."  We shall see if she wants to do it next year.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, CC! (I really like your Mom's reporting.)

    Love,
    Grandad

    ReplyDelete